I have never been a big “Valentine’s chocolate” person. Sometimes, a little something different – like a little lemon and raspberry – can be the secret to sweet romance. And, you can never go wrong with buttercream frosting. This recipe uses a fun ingredient: freeze-dried raspberries in the frosting (you can also use fresh) to give it the pink color. If any holiday calls for a little extravagance, it’s this one!
Lemon Raspberry Cake
- 1.5 sticks unsalted butter, room temp
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 6oz cream cheese, room temp
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- ¼oz. freeze-dried raspberries, finely ground
- 1 pint fresh raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Butter and flour the bottom and sides of a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Whisk together the flour, butter, baking powder, soda and salt. In another bowl, stir milk and lemon juice. Using a mixer, beat the butter, lemon zest, granulated sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Then add eggs, one at a time. Add flour and combine, alternating with the milk-lemon mixture.
- Add batter to prepared pan and bake until golden, 40 minutes. Let cool.
- Beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and freeze-dried berries.
- Frost cake and decorate with fresh berries.
Happy Valentine’s Day!