Happy Valentine’s Day! It doesn’t take much more than a skillet, two juicy steaks, fresh mushrooms and a few simple ingredients to make an elegant dinner for two on Valentine’s Day, according to Taste of Home.
Beef Tenderloin in Mushroom Sauce
- 4 T. butter, divided
- 1 t. canola oil
- 2 beef tenderloin steaks (1 inch thick and 4 ounces each)
- 1 c. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 T. chopped green onion
- 1 T. all-purpose flour
- 1/8 t. salt
- Dash pepper
- 2/3 c. chicken or beef broth
- 1/8 t. browning sauce (optional)
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter and oil over medium-high heat; cook steaks to desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°), 5-6 minutes per side. Remove from pan, reserving drippings; keep warm.
- In same pan, heat drippings and remaining butter over medium-high heat; sauté mushrooms and green onion until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until blended; gradually stir in broth and, if desired, browning sauce. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve the sauce with steaks.
- Serve steaks with Mashed Potatoes, Brussel Sprouts and a loaf of crusty French bread.