Hearty and full of flavor, this nutritious salad is super-easy to prepare. You can make it ahead of time for weekday lunches – pack it into a pita or serve alongside your protein of choice.
Moroccan Chickpea Kale Salad
- 2 large sweet potatoes, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2-3 scallions
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 5-6 kale leaves
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 Tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place the diced sweet potato cubes on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Toss to coat well and spread the cubes out so they have lots of space to crisp. Place in the oven and roast for 15 minutes, toss, and continue roasting until slightly crispy, about 10 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the chickpeas, scallions, cilantro, kale (stems removed, cut into ribbons) in a bowl.
- Mix olive oil, vinegar, maple syrup, orange zest, cumin, cinnamon and cayenne in a small bowl and whisk to combine. When the sweet potatoes are tender, let them cool for 10 minutes, then add to the bowl, mix in the dressing, season the salad with salt and pepper to taste.