As we settle in for more months of cold weather, let’s start your New Year’s style with outerwear. Hats, mittens, boots and gloves should all keep you warm, but they most definitely can be the pop, the WOW! factor of an outfit. Cute pom-poms on hats, faux fur cuffs and animal print, camo or plaid details on mittens and fingerless gloves allow you to match shoes, hats or the color of your coat. Quality faux fur (like designs from Fabulous Furs and Jayley) and sleek, wind-resistant Anorak puffers remain in fashion and all can be purchased locally at SHIFT.
Under all of that outerwear, let’s get to the everyday garments!
How many times has a “nice dress” comment prompted you to yell, “and it’s got POCKETS!”? We have a longstanding fascination with pockets, largely because they are something women’s clothiers have rarely considered a necessity; but this practical addition is firmly front and center as a fashion trend for 2023. Statement pockets are even better when adorned in a contrast stitching or prominent, like on cargo-style pants.
Here’s good news for jeans lovers: Denim is everywhere in all shades and colors! Slouchy styles have been working their way up the fashion ranks for the past few seasons, so if you’ve yet to swap your skinnies for something more relaxed, now’s the time. Ease into it with a (high-waisted) “mom jean’’ and work up to a boyfriend or wide-leg silhouette, keeping the rest of your outfit fitted to help balance voluminous proportions.
What to watch for…
Don’t be afraid to wear a dress – you can pair it with it tennies (per the fashions started in 21-22) or elevate your daytime look with accessories and easily transition to nighttime.
- Denim Dress: A worthy addition to your collection, it’s so easy to dress up or down for any occasion. Look to classic silhouettes such as a shirt or midi style to ensure you get plenty of mileage out of it.
- One-shoulder dress: Typically a summer favorite but coming in hot and plentiful for early 2023 “resort” collections, a one-shoulder neckline is sexy and flattering. Stick to bodycon styles in a neutral color palette of blacks, creams and whites for an understated ‘90s-inspired winter look, or go bold, colorful patterns for early 2023 resort vacations.
- Asymmetric Skirt: Incredibly flattering, an asymmetric hemline helps to lengthen legs instead of “cutting you off” at the same spot.
- Asymmetric Details: Seam-stitching, zippers, hems and more – it’s a mini-trend with maximum impact. This is as simple as it sounds and a super easy look to adopt. Whether it’s an asymmetric hem or a one-shoulder neckline, it’s all about the high-low effect.
- Sequins aren’t just for holidays! Sparkly styles are trickling straight through to spring. At fall fashion shows, designers went mad for metallics and it’s an element guaranteed to spark joy in your wardrobe. Add accessories with metallic pops – purses with beads, baubles and sequins and earrings that POP put the finishing touch on your outfits for early 2023.