It’s strawberry picking time in Michigan! It’s time to grab the kids and head out to Spicer Orchards to pick some of the juicy, delicious berries. Here is a recipe from Taste of Home for Strawberry Trifle that is quick and easy to prepare and is one of my family’s favorite summer desserts.
- 1 c. cold whole milk
- 1 c. sour cream
- 1 pkg. (3.4 ozs.) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 t. grated orange zest
- 2 c. heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 8 c. cubed angel food cake
- 4 c. sliced fresh strawberries
- In a large bowl, beat the milk, sour cream, pudding mix and orange zest on low speed until thickened. Fold in whipped cream.
- Place half of the cake cubes in a 3-quart glass bowl. Arrange a third of the strawberries around sides of bowl and over cake; top with half of the pudding mixture. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining berries. Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
Tip: To avoid squishing light-as-air angel food cake, freeze it overnight, then cut it with a serrated knife, using a back-and-forth motion.