Reception guest wants to be bored waiting around at the venue for you and the bridal party to arrive! If there is a substantial period between your ceremony and celebration, consider ways to occupy guests during that down time.
- Provide some board games: Clue, Battleship, Operation – the more interactive, the better!
- Card games: Apples to Apples, Rummy, Euchre – the louder, the better!
- Display a Mad Libs printout at each guest’s place setting instructing them to write personalized vows for you – the sillier, the better!
- On a cooler autumn or winter day, serve hot chocolate or hot apple cider – fun and kid friendly!
- Instead of cocktails, treat guests to popsicles, ice cream or gelato if it’s a warmer day.
- Schedule the DJ to start playing music as guests arrive to entertain them while they mingle.
- Design a hand-out that adults can use to write down their best marriage advice, while children in the group can use it to draw pictures of the bride and groom.
- Create a display board with photos that chronicle your relationship. Someone might learn something new about you!
- Hire a photobooth for guests to take wacky photos together. Let them print extra copies you can have as keepsakes.
Encouraging reception guests to start the party as soon as they arrive keeps the day’s happy vibe going, and allows you and your bridal party to relax and enjoy the post-nuptial photo session. It’s a win-win!