St. Patrick’s Day is coming up and probably the most popular dish on the dinner table that day is Corned Beef and Cabbage. Here is a recipe from Taste of Home that is simply delicious.
Favorite Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 1 Corned Beef Brisket (about 4 lbs.) with spice packet
- 2 T. brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 3-1/2 lbs. small potatoes, peeled
- 8 medium carrots, halved crosswise
- 1 medium head cabbage, cut into wedges
- 3 T. Kerrygold butter
- 2 T. all-purpose flour
- 1 to 1-1/2 c. reserved cooking juices from corned beef
- 1 T. sugar
- 1 T. cider vinegar
- 1/4 c. horseradish
- Place brisket, contents of seasoning packet, brown sugar and bay leaves in a large Dutch oven or stockpot; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 2 hours.
- Add potatoes and carrots; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, just until beef and vegetables are tender, 30-40 minutes. (If pot is full, remove potatoes and carrots before adding cabbage; reheat before serving.)
- Add cabbage to pot; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until cabbage is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove vegetables and corned beef; keep warm.
- For Horseradish Sauce, strain and reserve 1-1/2 cups cooking juices; skim fat from reserved juices. Discard remaining juice.
- Cut beef across the grain into slices. Serve with vegetables and Horseradish Sauce.
In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in 1 cup reserved juices. Stir in sugar, vinegar and horseradish; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until thickened. If desired, thin with additional juices. Season to taste with additional sugar, vinegar or horseradish.