Yesterday, Feb. 27, was National Chili Day and it was Chili Night at my house! Chili is the ultimate comfort food especially on a snowy February day. I have perfected my recipe for this comforting dish over the years, and it is one of my family’s favorite meals.
Three Bean Chili
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 3 T. chili powder (heaping)
- 1 can Dark Red Kidney Beans
- 1 can Pinto Beans
- 1 can Red Beans (hot)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (chili ready)
- 2 individual-size cans tomato juice (I use Spicy V-8 tomato juice for a little more heat)
- 1 T. sugar
- 2 T. Tomato paste
- Salt and black pepper (or cayenne pepper for more heat) to taste
- Place onion, pepper, jalapeno and crumbled ground beef into large pot. Cook over medium heat, using wooden spoon, and cook until meat is golden brown.
- Drain grease. Add chili powder, tomato paste and blend with meat mixture.
- Add tomatoes, beans, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add tomato juice, stir and let simmer on low heat for one hour.
- Toppings my family enjoys: shredded cheese, sour cream, crumbled Fritos, diced green onions and a side of corn bread.