When it’s cold outside, I think about comfort food for dinner. I’m always looking for new recipes to try and found this delicious one for Scalloped Potatoes and Ham with Cheese posted on Food.com by Barbara K. It makes a delicious, satisfying “comfort food” meal on a wintry night.
Scalloped Potatoes and Ham with Cheese
- Six potatoes
- 2-3 c. sliced ham
Basic White Sauce
- 1⁄4 c. butter
- 1⁄4 c. flour
- 1⁄4 – 1⁄2 c. onion (chopped)
- 2 c. milk
- 2 -3 c. cheese of your choice, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel potatoes, for a 2-quart baking dish and dice the ham.
- To make Basic White Sauce, melt butter, add flour and mix. Add chopped onions and milk and stir until mixture thickens. Add cheese to white sauce and stir until melted. Slice the potatoes.
- Place one layer of potatoes in a 2-quart baking dish and top with ham. Continue to add layers of potatoes and ham. Pour the cheese sauce over all. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Remove the cover and bake another 1/2 hour until cheese bubbles and top browns.