Today is National Nacho Day! And who doesn’t love nachos as a great snack or an easy to prepare meal. Nachos were created by Ignacio “El Nacho” Anaya in 1943 in Mexico. He created a new snack for the wives of soldiers stationed at Fort Duncan, frying cut tortillas and adding shredded cheese and pickled jalapeños. He called them, Nacho Especiales.
Celebrate National Nacho Day with this delicious recipe for Ultimate Nachos from thestayathomechef.com.
- 16 oz. tortilla chips
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 T. taco seasoning
- 1/4 c. water
- 15 oz. can refried beans
- 4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
Additional Topping Ideas:
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 1/2 c. guacamole
- 1/3 c. sliced olives
- 1/2 c. fresh salsa
- 1/3 c. roughly chopped cilantro
- 1/4 c. sliced or pickled jalapenos
- 1/4 c. diced red onion
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in ground beef. Use a spoon to break up the meat and cook 8 to 10 minutes until beef is fully cooked through. Drain excess grease. Add in taco seasoning, stir, and cook 60-90 seconds.
- Pour in water and add in refried beans. Stir to combine and cook until heated through. Keep warm.
- Spread chips out onto a baking sheet (or other desired oven-safe baking dish including a 9×13 pan, cast iron skillet, or even a pie plate).
- Sprinkle 2 cups of the cheese over the chips. Dot with the beef and bean mixture. Top with remaining 2 cups of cheese.
- Bake in the 350-degree oven for 5 to 7 minutes, until cheese is fully melted.
- Remove from heat and add additional toppings as desired. Serve warm.