Memorial Day weekend is said to be the unofficial beginning of summer and the weather here in Michigan appears to be cooperating with temperatures soaring up to the 70s and 80s. Families will be firing up the grill for a barbecue. Burgers, hot dogs and BBQ chicken and ribs are a favorite.
For me, it’s all about the side dishes: potato salad, coleslaw, deviled eggs, baked beans and juicy slices of watermelon. I also like to serve, as a side dish, one of my dad’s favorites — Asian Noodle Salad. It’s cool and refreshing, not to mention delicious!
Asian Noodle Salad
- 1 lb. Soba Noodles
- 1/2 c. toasted Sesame Oil
- 1/4 c. Soy Sauce
- 2 T. Sugar
- 1 1/2 T. Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 t. salt
- Red Pepper Flakes or Cayenne Pepper (to taste)
- 8 thinly slice scallions
- 1 c. chopped, fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 c. dry roasted peanuts
- Cook Noodles (using directions on package)
- Rinse in cold water and drain well.
- Combine oil, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, salt in large bowl.
- Whisk to dissolve.
- Add noodles, scallions, cilantro and mix well.
- Sprinkle peanuts over the noodles. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.