I’ll let you in on a little secret: I grew up hating beets. Reflecting back on it, I think I was only offered canned or pickled beets. Fast-forward to adulthood and my experiences with farming. I quickly discovered that beets are easy to grow; their greens are sweet, crisp and delicious in salads. A revelation! Raw beets are amazing – sliced matchstick style for salads, marinated, I’ve even taken to roasting them. This recipe is easy to throw together with your food processor. The nutty pumpkin seeds add a little crunch (plus iron, potassium calcium and protein), and a few microgreens add nice flavor and texture. This colorful and healthy salad even gets better and more flavorful over a couple of days in the fridge.
Raw Beet Salad
- 1 medium beet, shredded
- 3 medium carrots, shredded
- 6 medium radishes, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp fresh parsley
- 1 cup microgreens
- 1 apple, diced
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Place the radishes, beets, carrots and parsley in a salad bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the diced apple and lemon juice. Toss to make sure all the pieces are covered in juice, then add the apples to the beet mixture.
- Add the pumpkin seeds, greens, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Toss well to combine. Season with salt, if needed.