Genesee County is considering the addition of almost thirty more roundabouts at busy intersections throughout the area. In fact, a roundabout is coming to the city of Fenton as many of you probably know — at the intersection of Torrey and North roads. According to recent reports, the project is expected to be completed sometime in November. Many people are confused by roundabouts but according to the Federal Highway Administration, roundabouts are often safer, more efficient, less costly and more aesthetically appealing than conventional intersection designs. Here are some guidelines to follow from the Michigan Department of Transportation when driving a roundabout:
- Traffic in the roundabout always moves counterclockwise.
- Choose your lane before entering.
- Yield to traffic already in the roundabout.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks.
- Indicate your exit by using your turn signal.
- Use signs and pavement markings to help guide you.