- Coffee was discovered by goatherders in Ethiopia circa 800 A.D. when they noticed goats being extremely energetic after consuming the berries.
- Hawaii is the only state in the U.S. that commercially grows coffee.
- Coffee is a fruit. The beans are actually the pits of cherry-like berries.
- New York is the most coffee caffeinated state in the US. New Yorkers drink seven times the amount of the rest of the nation.
- Americans consume 400 million cups of coffee per day. No wonder we’re all so wired.
- The word “Cappucino” comes from the drink’s resemblance in color to the robes of the capuchin friars in Italy.
- The first webcam was invented at the university of Cambridge. Its purpose: to keep watch on the coffee pot.
- Before coffee was a hit in the 1700’s, beer was the drink of choice at breakfast. Yep, we used to start early
- The fear of an empty beer glass is Cenosillica-phobia and it’s quite debilitating.
- The first modern American IPA was Anchor Liberty Ale, first released in 1975 by Anchor Brewing Co. of San Francisco.
- Beer cans debuted way back in 1935 by the Gottfried Kreuger Brewery and were available for the first time in Richmond, VA.
- Schlitz, out of Milwaukee, invented the brown bottle in 1911 which blocked out the sun ensuring freshness. Tasty!
- According to 247wallstreet.com the State that has the highest annual per-capita beer consumption is New Hampshire with Montana a close second.
- Every American craft brewery combined employs fewer people than Anheuser-Busch corporation and it’s not even close!
- The largest craft brewery by sales volume is Yuengling out of Pennsylvania, with Boston Brewing Co. (Sam Adams) second, and Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. taking the Bronze.