The strawberries at Spicer Orchards in Fenton are almost ready to be picked. There is nothing better than the sweet taste of the red berry on a hot summer day. One of my favorite things to do with fresh-picked strawberries is to make a cool, delicious strawberry pie. The recipe I use is from pillsbury.com. Piled high with delicious, juicy strawberries and topped with sweetened whipped cream, this fruity dessert is a proven crowd-pleaser. AND, it’s super easy to make! You only need seven ingredients for this recipe to come together.
- 1 box Pillsbury™ refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
- 3 pints (6 cups) fresh strawberries
- 1 c. sugar
- 3 T. cornstarch
- 1/2 c. water
- 1 c. sweetened whipped cream
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Bake pie crust as directed on box for One-Crust Baked Shell, using 9-inch glass pie plate. Cool completely on cooling rack, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, crush enough strawberries to make 1 cup. In 2-quart saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch; stir in crushed strawberries and water. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Place remaining strawberries, whole or sliced, in cooled baked shell. Pour cooked strawberry mixture evenly over berries. Refrigerate until set, about 3 hours, before serving.
Just before serving, top pie with sweetened whipped cream. Cover and refrigerate any remaining pie.