Growing up in the state of Maryland, fried green tomatoes were something we enjoyed eating when the tomatoes first started to ripen in our huge vegetable garden. This is my mother’s recipe and they are delicious!
Mom’s Fried Green Tomatoes
- 4 medium unripe tomatoes tinged with pink
- 2 eggs
- 2 T. milk
- 1/2 t. cayenne pepper1 t. salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 c. crushed saltine cracker crumbs
- 2-4 T. olive oil
- 2-4 T. butter
- Lemon wedges (optional)
These are best served hot, so wait until just before serving to make them.
- Cut tomatoes into thick slices, discarding the ends.
- In shallow bowl beat eggs lightly with milk, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
- Place cracker crumbs in second bowl.
- In heavy skillet combing the olive oil and butter over medium heat until butter is melted.
- Dip 4 or 5 tomatoes in egg mixture, then in cracker crumbs, patting to coat completely with crumbs.
- Place in hot oil/butter mixture.
- Adjusting heat to keep butter from getting too brown, fry until tomato slices are golden brown on both sides.
- Drain on paper towels and repeat with remaining tomato slices, adding more butter and olive oil if necessary.
- Serve tomatoes hot with lemon wedges.