Turns out, Kearsley Street is named for Jonathon Kearsley, a two-time Mayor of Detroit who fought in the War of 1812 and had nothing to do with Flint.
The Athertons were early settlers of Burton, including brothers Perus, Shubael, Adonijah and Elihu.
Named after one of Flint’s earliest settlers General John Garland, whose wife, Harriet Smith Garland, was the daughter of Flint’s first settler, Jacob Smith
Named after William S. Pierson, who moved to Flint in 1839
Named after T.B.W. Stockton, whose wife, Maria Smith Stockton, was the daughter of Flint’s first settler, Jacob Smith
Robert T. Longway Blvd.
A native of New York, Robert T. Longway started his career as an accountant for the Weston-Mott Company. He rose to become Vice-President of Buick, and after retiring in 1932, he worked at the National Bank of Flint until 1942. Longway served on many local boards and is best known for his gift to the develop the Cultural Center in 1956, which is why the Planetarium is also named after him.
Other Automotive Barons
Pierre S. DuPont managed General Motors from 1915-1920, became GM’s president in 1920, and served on GM’s Board of Directors until 1928.
Named after J. Dallas Dort
Named after Louis Chevrolet
William S. Ballenger was the first treasurer of Buick and Chevrolet. He was remembered for the trust he left to MCC to pay for quality instructors.
James J. Hurley arrived in the city of Flint with one dollar in his pocket. He was one of the earliest stockholders in the W. A. Paterson carriage factory, and later helped to organize the Union Trust and Savings Bank, of which he was director for some years. At the time of his death, he left a donation to every church in the city regardless of denomination, and also provided the funds ($25,000) and the land to build what is now Hurley Medical Center.
Col. Edward H. Thomson arrived in Flint from England in 1837. He worked as the prosecuting attorney, was elected to State Senate, appointed to positions abroad by Governor Ransom, and returned to Flint later in life; he also had an extensive Shakespeare collection, and his love of the bard inspired the naming of Avon Street (pronounced with the ‘a’ sound in ‘have’) for Shakespeare’s birthplace, Stratford-upon-Avon.
Rev. Charles Lippincott was the officiant of the First Presbyterian church from 1901 to 1913.
Joseph K. Averill came to Flint from New York in 1839 with a printing press and began printing Genesee County’s first newspaper, The Flint River Gazette, which published until 1841.
Norbert F. Dougherty was hired by GM to build Mott Park, and named the streets after himself (Norbert St., Dougherty Place), his wife (Weller was her maiden name), and even his old boss, Frank. He was born in Tyrone, PA and lived in Altoona, hence those names. He also admired Michigan’s explorers, Marquette, Monteith, St. Clair, and Cadillac, which is why those streets can be found in the park.
Streets Named for People of International Importance
Named after a WWI War hero and Medal of Honor Recipient who was known as the commander of the Lost Battalion.”
Named after a Swedish architect who saved tens of thousands of Jews in Hungary during WWII and was killed in a Russian prison.
Streets Named for Governors of Michigan
Streets Named for
Mayors of Flint