My daughter Melissa’s favorite meal that I cook is Chicken Divan. And every year, I make this for her birthday dinner. Since her birthday is in January, it is a warm, comforting and easy-to-make meal for a special occasion. There are many recipes for Chicken Divan but this is my own (tried and true) version of this delicious casserole.
Melissa’s Birthday Chicken Divan
- 4 chicken breasts, boiled, cooled and shredded (or you can use roasted chicken from your favorite grocery store, shredded).
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 c. mayonnaise
- ½ c. sour cream
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 1 t. curry powder (if desired)
- 2 c. sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 c. fresh broccoli
- 2 slices Italian bread, cut in cubes
- Boil the chicken breasts until tender, cool, shred and set aside.
- Cut the fresh broccoli into small pieces and place in the bottom of a 9 by 12 baking dish. (You can use frozen broccoli if desired but I prefer to use fresh).
- Mix together in a bowl, the chicken soup, mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice and curry powder.
- Cover the broccoli with the shredded chicken and then top it with soup mixture.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Top the cheese with the bread cubes.
- Bake (covered) in a 350-degree oven, approximately 30 minutes. Remove the cover and bake for approximately 10-15 minutes until the bread cubes are brown and the mixture is bubbly.