Brrr! It’s cold outside and it’s lunch time. There is nothing more comforting than a grilled cheese sandwich and a cup of tomato soup to fill your belly and warm you up. This is a delicious recipe for the popular combo from bonappetite.com.
Grilled Cheese Sandwich and Tomato Soup
- 4 T. (½ stick) unsalted butter, plus ½ c. (1 stick) at room temperature, divided
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 2 T. tomato paste
- 2 28-oz. cans crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 4 c. vegetable broth
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 T. sugar
- ½ c. heavy cream
- 16 slices Pullman loaf (sandwich bread)
- 16 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
- Heat 4 T. butter in a Dutch oven or medium stockpot over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened and lightly browned around the edges, 8–10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add tomato paste and cook, stirring to coat onion, until tomato paste is slightly darkened in color, about 2 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes, vegetable broth, thyme, bay leaf, and sugar and bring to a simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook until flavors are melded, 35–40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cream.
- Remove thyme stems and bay leaf and let cool slightly.
- Working in batches, purée in a blender until smooth.
- Heat a dry skillet, preferably cast-iron, over medium heat.
- Dividing evenly, spread room-temperature butter over bread slices.
- Top unbuttered side of 8 slices with cheddar, dividing evenly.
- Top with remaining bread, buttered side up, and cook, turning once, until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted, about 3 minutes per side.